What Does Asparagus Taste Like And Best Ways To Cook It
You may have heard Asparagus before, and you might only know it as an ordinary vegetable. Most of us may think of it as a vegetable that said to be healthy, but you have to tolerate its awkward taste.
You may never have the chance to try eating Asparagus as part of your meal as sometimes we have no time trying other food or vegetable that we have never eaten before, so we stick to the ones we used to eat.
Have you ever think of having Asparagus even once? Would you know how does it really taste? If you are still wondering about what does Asparagus taste like; I might be able to help you as you read on to this article.
Let us start by knowing what Asparagus is.
What is Asparagus And Where Does It Come From?
Asparagus is a spring kind of vegetable; it grows tall with stout stems with much-branched and a feathery foliage.
Its leaves is a needle-like cladode and clustered in a rose-like shape. Its roots are fasciculated, and its flower is a bell-shaped coloring from greenish-white to yellowish as it sprouts.
Asparagus is known not only as a vegetable but also a herbal medicine. Even before the early times, it has been known as an offering on an Egyptian frieze.
Aside from being popular through many countries as a healthy snack, Asparagus is also known to heal and protect your body from different kinds of sickness and diseases.
What are the Benefits of Asparagus?
Asparagus being both a healthy vegetable and a herbal medicine has a lot of contents beneficial to our body and mind. Check out 10 awesome health benefits from Asparagus here:
Here are some of the reasons why you should eat Asparagus:
- Including Asparagus on your daily diet can help you lose weight even more, as 93% of Asparagus is composed of water, it has low calories and fats. It also contains lots of Fiber which will make you feel satisfy and avoid the feeling of constipation.
- It can also help your body detoxify, the more spears you eat from Asparagus, the more it helps your body flush excess fluids and salt, which can save you from any urinary tract infections.
- Asparagus contains a lot of Vitamins, one of this is Vitamin E, which makes Asparagus antioxidant. This can help strengthen your immune system and protect your cells from the harmful effects of free radicals. Another is Vitamin K that helps stop the bleeding after a cut. It also helps your body absorbed more calcium.
- When you feel bloated, the first thing that comes to your find is to eat natural foods like fruits and vegetables, to help your digestive system function well. Good news is that Asparagus is that natural food that has good bacteria or probiotics to help you fight that bloated feeling.
- Eating Asparagus is also good for women wanting to get pregnant. It contains folic acid which can help protect neutral tube defect.
- It may also help improve your mood and avoid irritability.
What does Asparagus taste like?
Asparagus has a very strong noticeable flavor. It has an earthy taste just like broccoli. Imagine eating green beans but with a much stronger flavor.
It can also be compared to a mushroom because of its ability to absorbed flavors from other food. When cooked together with other foods with a much stronger flavor like a garlic and lemon, Asparagus will soak up the flavor from it.
While Asparagus can also be eaten as a healthy snack, it can also be a good addition to many dishes. Let me give you an idea of what foods can you mix with Asparagus.
What are the Dishes that go well with Asparagus?
As I have mentioned earlier, Asparagus has a very strong flavor, and to actually beat it, one way is to cooked it together with foods that have a stronger flavor, aside from garlic and lemon, Asparagus can also go well with the following:
- Meat like bacon, chicken, lamb and ham
- Veggies like tomatoes and olives
What are the ways of Cooking Asparagus?
Asparagus is famous from being a side dish, it can actually be cook by just steaming. While there are many ways of cooking Asparagus depending on your preferred recipe, below are some of the famous ways of having your Asparagus a perfect dish.
Cooking Asparagus in a Pan
Another way of cooking your Asparagus and adding flavor to it is to cook it in the pan. Which will actually give you a lot more choices of mixing it up with your desired ingredients?
Below is a video showing an example recipe of cooking Asparagus in a pan.
Cooking Asparagus in the Oven
Oven roasted Asparagus is also an easy way to cook your Asparagus, putting flavors to it and exposing it to the heat is surely a great way for it to absorb the flavors.
Watch the video below so you can have an idea on how to cook your Asparagus using your oven.
Asparagus may not be loved by many people especially those who are not into strong flavored foods, but needless to say, Asparagus is a very healthy vegetable that can give your body a lot of benefits. Having its ability to soak flavors from other foods makes it easier to include in your daily diet.
Many foods may taste a bit unpleasant to other people, but for Asparagus, you can always find a way to eliminate its awkward taste and replace it with a very good and healthy flavor.
I hope you now have the idea of what does Asparagus taste like, and all other information you need to know when thinking to include Asparagus on your next meal.
You can also share this with your friends and family, should you have any idea related with Asparagus that you want to share, you can leave a comment below.